Blogger Backgrounds

Saturday 22 November 2014

Update



I realize I have been away since September 22, 2013 and I have so much to share with you since my last post. I am proud to share with you that I was honored with an award from International Toastmasters. But, I am getting ahead of myself. 

I was working at Worley Parsons as an IT Support Analyst. At the beginning of each staff meeting, they had what they called a “one way moment”. I received a message from a co-worker that I would be speaking at our next meeting.  I did not believe them.  They told me to check the schedule.  I checked the schedule and sure enough I was speaking at our next meeting.  

I started to think about what I could share that would benefit the team.  Then I recalled that I have a blog that is filled with many examples.  I discovered a post that talks about the balance between personal and professional life.  After I had spoken at our meeting, I had a visit from a woman who was on the same floor as our team.  She had seen my picture of Yoda that I had posted on my cubical wall.  

It prompted an interesting conversation.  Her daughter was a big fan of Star Wars.  I mentioned that I knew the conceptual artist for Star Wars 4-6.  She asked how my day was and I said it was interesting I was asked to speak about the balance between personal and professional life.  She asked me if she could read what I wrote and I shared it with her.  After she had read it, she asked if I would be a guest speaker at their next International Toastmasters’ meeting.  I said I would be honored and thanked her for the invite.  I asked her if there was anything she wanted me to speak about so I went to my blog to see what topic might benefit the group.
 
One of the topics I wrote about was called “Circle of Influence”.  I sensed it would be an ideal topic to share with the group.  They liked it so much I was asked to come back as a guest speaker.  What could I share with them next? I recalled my conversations with my Pop.   He and I had spoken about how action overcomes fear. I began to write about how taking action can conquer fear.  I wanted to impart there is strength in taking action and that it is possible to face your fears.  I trusted that when I spoke the group would see the value in my message and that they would take away with them the knowledge that fear is brought on by our thoughts and we all have the power to change those thoughts.

I was the last speaker, and when the chairperson said it was time to vote on best table topic, I was shocked because this didn’t happen at the last meeting.  The scores were tallied and the person assigned to tally the votes announced the winner “The winner for Best Table Topic is Gordon Pound.” I was stunned and shocked when I was asked to take the podium. I was presented with a mock trophy and said, “I would like to thank mom, Coach Whimby and oh yeah, me.”  They all chuckled and clapped.  

I was asked to speak two more times before I left Worley Parsons. The topics that I spoke about I will be sharing with you here. The feedback I got from the members was invaluable. They all said what I shared with them was exactly what they needed to hear. Remember, I didn’t have any guidelines; these topics came to me and I thought they would benefit everyone.

More to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment